(written on December 10, 2000)
The counting and lawsuits continue in Florida.
43 million American have no health insurance, even for emergencies.
The ozone hole over Antarctica has spread to Tierra del Fuego.
The combined wealth of 120 million Americans equals that of Bill Gates.
13 million American children live in poverty, 3 million more children than in 1979.
Six media companies dominate the eleven-and-a-half hours of media consumed daily by the average American.
The 51 largest economies in the world are corporations.
Leonard Peltier is still in prison.
The counting and lawsuits continue in Florida
1. New York Times, November 20, 2000, Special Section on Giving, part 2, pg. 21
2. Speech by Ralph Nader to the National Press Club, July 18, 2000.
3. Speech by Robert McChesney, "Corporate Media & the Threat to Democracy", given in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, September 14, 1998. Transcript available from Alternative Radio.
4. Adbusters magazine, August/September 2000, No. 31, "Corporate Crackdown," pg. 41.
5. See http://www.freepeltier.org.